NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Ground Control to Major Tom

On board the USS Enterprise:

Captain Starriders: Major Tom, Nonkinsense, Nonkinsense, Major Tom.
Major Tom: So we finally meet Nonkinsense after years in the tin can on Murray Street. Where is the Vermont Teddy Bear you promised me?!!??
Nonkinsense: Lost by Ground Control Shipping sir, no waybill number, no tracking. I suspect lost somewhere in Lexington, Kentucky, I'm afraid. I'm sorry I let you down. I'm sorry about such attitude of mine. I'm sorry I'm so weird and esoteric, idle and feeble minded and scary.
Major Tom: Can it Nonkinsense...Your Vermont Teddy Bear was too inside even for the state of Minnesota and Hopkins, let alone, Madison, Wisconsin. I'm quite upset that you ran away with Mike's keyboard. What sin can one man make in a single LIFETIME, I do not know.
Nonkinsense: I wanted to be clever, funny, amusing, thought provoking, get some Positive Energy goin on the ship.
Major Tom: Positive Energy, that's not your job, here, Leutenant, that's for Admiral D.GRAY. Your a temp here Nonkinsense, don't forget it, a per diem, an Independant Contractor, only, just check it out with the IRS. You're not even all that Johnny Friendly, these days, are you.
Nonkinsense: I have to say what I feel, even if it's perceived the wrong way. It's not like the past anymore. I can't afford to be dismissed, disrespected, ignored, told to walk away, close that chapter, misled, misunderstood, pigeon holed, pre-judged, wishing harm would come to him, cursed, robbed by a criminal pre-teen with one arm and a hook for the second arm for my Bus pass, Beaten Up by and spat at by a Gerristen Beach teen for wearing an Islander Jersey to school. I use a lot of exaggeration and distortion, Major, for effect, like an effects or WAH WAH pedal.
Major Tom: I see, but, your mission was to acquire advertising and proper product placement, nothing, more, nothing, less. You think you play the keyboards well, Nonkinsense?!??
Nonkinsense: I bring a certain musicality to it. What I can't do, I try to entertain the paying customers on stage. Some won't forget the Crazy Thing Called Love on the floor with fake nose and glasses at the Bitter End.
Major Tom: Trust me, some will, some will try, I hope they succeed, frankly.
You're a very funny man Lt. someone,not me, could use your creative talents. You have a brain and you now like to use it, you're very resourceful Nonkinsense. But, what are your plans for the future, how can you live this way?!!??
Nonkinsense: I make new friends and try to keep the old ones. It's the best I have to offer.
Major Tom: Very profound, Nonkinsense, you're an above average keyboard player, without much training, very entertaining, in a unique kind of way.
Nonkinsense: Thank you Major, it means a lot. I know it's not just blowing smoke up my ass and patronizing me. I do feed off an audience and would get quite depressed to see only two people come out when I'm on stage, one of those being the Captain's long suffering wife.
Major Tom: I like the way you put things Nonkinsense, you can put together a couple of sentences and you know how to use Blogs and E-mail. It's a shame you're only a temp around here.
Nonkinsense: It's a competitive universe Major, I understand, totally, Hey, have a good time, enjoy the company you have and you have cultivated, make them laugh, laugh with them and feed off their Positive Energy because you may be dead come tomorrow. Come this Friday, April 1, go see Girls on Top, 449 Court Street, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, 8-11PM, No cover. While we're at I recommend the Jerry Vivino Quartet at the Dancing Goat, April 8th, South Orange Ave / Voss Ave, New Jersey.