NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Listen to the Doctor!

Son: Doctor, my brother says upon your initial Five minutes with my Mom, that you're saying it's Alzheimers.

Doctor: And you are?

Son: I'm her son. She's sharp, warm, caring, funny, insightful, vibrant, energetic, extroverted as anybody you'll ever meet, up until a couple of weeks ago. Her memory is as good as mine.

Doctor: She could not repeat the sequence of numbers I gave her.

Son: She's living in the horrors of Depression, doctor.

Doctor: She could not repeat the easiest set of numbers to remember...I never seen anything like it before. It's the onset of Alzheimers, nothing else, could explain it. She'll be better after the medication starts working.

Son: She'll be better? You're telling me she has Alzheimers, you're giving me no hope that she'll be better.

Doctor: That's my floor, I have to go to lunch.

Son: How are we going to treat my Mom, Doctor?

Doctor: You can talk to me only when I'm on the Floor, in my office, 10-11AM, Monday and Wednesday. The hospital's voice mail system does not work and I'm unable to retrieve any of my messages. 10-11AM Monday and Wednesday.

Son: Thank you doctor, have a good day.