NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Sopranos on DVD Episode 2

Dr. Melfi: Don't you think it's time we talked further about your dream with the ducks, the Stag Party, your feelings about losing your mother and the deep depression that followed.

Tony: Time to move on, walk away, it was meant to be, there's an old Jewish saying, a time to live and a time to die, Life sucks big time, Doc, no shit, Sherlock. There's nothing more to talk about, case closed. Es tut zich nit azoi gut vi es redt zich.

Dr. Melfi: Have you taken your medication this morning?

Tony: I have.

Dr. Melfi: Whatever you say or whatever it was that you said. Es tut zich nit azoi gut vi es redt zich? Mr. Soprano, I'm sorry, but, talking in Yiddish, that's not something I fully understand. You're repressing your true feelings about the ducks, ducks deluxe, Brinsley Schwarz, Graham Parker, Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner, Terry Williams, John Cooper Clarke, The Palladium, Central Park, The Pier, The Bowery Ballroom, The Supper Club, The Motors, The Drongos, Oingo Boingo, The Police, The English Beat, Madness, sheer Madness, Mr Soprano.

Tony: Gadles ligt oifen mist.

Dr. Melfi: Yes, that I understand, Pride lies on the dungheap, go on.

Tony: Something Hesh told me when my Dad died at 65 of a massive heart attack driving home from a trip to New Hampshire and stopping the car at Rhynes Deli in Vernon Connecticut. One year after the greatest day of my life, walking out of the Hospital, after his month with double pnemonia and breathing only by means of respirator. He walked out of the hospital just liked I dreamt it would happen.

Dr. Melfi: Wow, Mr. Soprano, I had no idea, it must have been so very difficult for you then to have such hope and then have it shattered. You were close to your Dad.

Tony: You bet, my Dad thought every moment we spent together was worth more than a million dollars, every conversation was a means to rejoice and laugh and use your head, every bit of homework, learning to drive, seeing your family together, healthy and happy, regardless of the relationships, even for breakfast, was what matter to him. Money and possesion, greed, envy, distance, coldness, un-responsiveness, was not what he was about. He was the greatest and he was so proud and had such confidence in me and in the decisions I made... I wish there were more ways to say I love you Ira. I'm proud of you, you're my son...Feelings count most, our relationship is as strong and loving as ever. Have a happy life and a satisfying career in whatever you choose...Love, Dad (college gradutation card, hand written, 1984) .
Dr. Melfi: That's amazing, you're very lucky, I know it must have been devasting to lose your Dad when you were 28 years old, one year after you almost lost him.
Tony: You got that right, but, that other stuff, explains, a lot...I love you Ira??? I'm Tony, Tony Soprano.