NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Saturday, July 02, 2005


I'm just trying to tickle the funnybone and the keys while tinkling with the Void while I'm gone...Thank you Glenn for the pictures from 6/24/05

I do, It's America's Great National Pastime. I was thinking along your lines (in no order):
1. I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy - George M. Cohan
2. Fourth of July - Beach Boys
Past that I'm stuck, however - America:
1. America - Simon and Garfunkel (Yes)
2. America - Nice
3. Living in America - James Brown
4. American Tune - Paul Simon
5. American Music - Blasters
Donny

And I can remember the fourth of July,
Running’ through the backwood, bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin’,
Chasin’ down a hoodoo there.
Chasin’ down a hoodoo there
.
Top Five July 4th Songs with July Fourth in the Title or made reference to:
1-Fourth of July - Dave Alvin, also recorded by Los Lobos or was it the Bodeens as well ?
2-Fourth of July Asbury Park (Sandy) - Bruce Springsteen
3-Born on the Bayou - CCR
4-Saturday in the Park-Chicago
5-Written by Skip Battin and Kim Fowley : I'm turning a blank for # 5 , unless the Judges (namely, Paulie Walnuts) will accept this Byrds song below which makes no specific reference to July 4th. I also was thinking about Springsteen's Independence Day, but, that is more appropriate for Father's Day.

One of America's great national pastimes
Is drinking a Coke
Taking a smoke
Telling a joke
One of America's great national pastimes
Is playing ball
Taking it all
And thinking so small

But the great taste of Coke has refreshed players
The hot and tired
The weary and the sore
But the great taste of coke has refreshed players
The hot and tired
The weary and the sore

One of America's great national pastimes
Is chocolate fudge
Carrying a grudge
Bribing a judge
One of America's great national pastimes
Is poisoning rain
Acting insane
Inflicting pain

But the great taste of Coke has refreshed players
The hot and tired
The weary and the sore
The great taste of Coke has refreshed players The hot and tired
The weary and the..

One of America's great national pastimes
Is the worship of speed
Planting her seeds
Taking more than she needs
One of America's great national pastime
Is cutting the grass
Grabbing some ass
Living too fast

But the great taste of coke has refreshed players The hot and tired
The weary and the sore
The great taste of Coke has refreshed players
The hot and tired
The weary and the sore
Ira


#5 , this just in Van the Man's Almost Independence Day...and this Dylan tune, that Richard Manuel and or Rick Danko may have a co-credit, perhaps, Robbie, that I heard Saturday off my The Band Boxed Set as I drove down to Rockville with "Tears of Rage" which also applies better to parents, sons and daughters...


We carried you in our arms On independence day,And now youd throw us all aside And put us on our way.Oh what dear daughter neath the sun Would treat a father so,To wait upon him hand and foot And always tell him, "no"? Tears of rage, tears of grief,Why must I always be the thief? Come to me now, you know Were so alone And life is brief.We pointed out the way to go And scratched your name in sand,Though you just thought it was nothing more Than a place for you to stand.Now, I want you to know that while we watched,You discover there was no one true. Most evrybody really thoughtIt was a childish thing to do.Tears of rage, tears of grief,Must I always be the thief? Come to me now, you knowWere so lowAnd life is brief.It was all very painlessWhen you went out to receive All that false instruction Which we never could believe.And now the heart is filled with gold As if it was a purse. But, oh, what kind of love is this Which goes from bad to worse? Tears of rage, tears of grief,Must I always be the thief? Come to me now, you know Were so low And life is brief.
Ira,
I heard this for the first time today (Ry Cooder's "Rally Around the Flag,") This bit of jingoism is turned into a mournful dirge for the U.S.A. (bringing tears to my eyes) by Ry Cooder with empathetic piano accompaniment by Randy Newman. Have a safe and happy 4th.
Donny
Think of London, a small city It's dark, dark in the daytime The people sleep, sleep in the daytime If they want to, if they want to CHORUS I'm checking them out I'm checking them out I got it figured out I got it figured out There's good points and bad points Find a city Find myself a city to live in. -talking heads-david byrne.

Posted by Picasa