NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

Nobody worked harder this Labor Day than these Women; Girls On Top, raising $$$ for the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina Relief.








1-Chain Gang-Sam Cooke 2-Maggie's Farm-Bob Dylan 3-Factory-Bruce Springsteen 4-Career Opportunities-The Clash 5-Big Boss Man-Grateful Dead, Leadbelly...From #57- Union Man- Strawbs Takin Care of Business- BTO From DK Walnuts: 1. Work To Do - Isley Bros.
2. Work - Tin Huey(?) (One of the Akron Bands)
3. Keep On Workin' - Pete Townshend
4. Bell Boy - Who
5. It's My Job - Jimmy Buffett
Donny
From Commander Starriders:
Some of these jobs are about the workplace. Some are about alienation of modern life, of which the workplace is a part.


Take This Job and Shove It

Which Side Are You On

Sixteen Tons

Richard Corey

We Gotta Get Out of this Place

Five O'Clock World

Well Respected Man

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Bells of Rhymney

1941 Mining Disaster

Allentown

Sitting on a Fence

Another Day

Talking Union

Summertime Blues

Dancing in the Dark

Thunder Road

The Free Electric Band
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome To The Working Week
Now that your picture's in the paper being rhythmically admired and you can have anyone that you have ever desired, all you gotta tell me now is why, why, why, why.
Welcome to the workin' week. Oh I know it don't thrill you, I hope it don't kill you. Welcome to the workin' week. You gotta do it till you're through it so you better get to it.
All of your family had to kill to survive, and they're still waitin' for their big day to arrive. But if they knew how I felt they'd bury me alive.
Welcome to the workin' week. Oh I know it don't thrill you, I hope it don't kill you. Welcome to the workin' week. You gotta do it till you're through it so you better get to it.
I hear you sayin', "Hey, the city's all right when you only read about it in books. Spend all your money gettin' so convinced that you never even bother to look. Sometimes I wonder if we're livin' in the same land, Why d'you wanna be my friend when I feel like a juggler running out of hands?
Welcome to the workin' week, oh, welcome to the working week.

Salt Of The Earth lyrics
Let's drink to the hard working people Let's drink to the lowly of birth Raise your glass to the good and the evil Let's drink to the salt of the earth Say a prayer for the common foot soldier Spare a thought for his back breaking work Say a prayer for his wife and his children Who burn the fires and who still till the earth And when I search a faceless crowd A swirling mass of gray and Black and white They don't look real to me In fact, they look so strange Raise your glass to the hard working people Let's drink to the uncounted heads Let's think of the wavering millions Who need leaders but get gamblers instead Spare a thought for the stay-at-home voter His empty eyes gaze at strange beauty shows And a parade of the gray suited grafters A choice of cancer or polio And when I look in the faceless crowd A swirling mass of grays and Black and white They don't look real to me Or don't they look so strange Let's drink to the hard working people Let's think of the lowly of birth Spare a thought for the rag taggy people Let's drink to the salt of the earth Let's drink to the hard working people Let's drink to the salt of the earth Let's drink to the two thousand million Let's think of the humble of birth ...Two that were not included-Nonkinsense
And this:
As soon as your born they make you feel smallby giving you no time instead of it all Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all Working Class Hero is something to be Working Class Hero is something to be They hurt you at home and they hit you at school They hate you if you're clever and despise a fool Till you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules Working Class Hero is something to be Working Class Hero is something to be When they've tortured and scared you for 20 odd years then they expect you to pick a career When you can't really function you're so full of fear Working Class Hero is something to be Working Class Hero is something to be Keep you doped with religon, sex and T.V.and you think you're so clever and classless and freebut you're still fucking peasents as far as I can see Working Class Hero is something to beWorking Class Hero is something to be There's room at the top I'm telling you stillbut first you must learn how to smile as you kill if you want to be like the folks on the hill Working Class Hero is something to be Yes , A Working Class Hero is something to be If you want to be a hero well just follow me If you want to be a hero well just follow me
JOHN LENNON - "Working Class Hero" lyrics

Ira

Here are the words to one of my own songs about alienation and the working world. It's not quite a labor day song, but I could turn it into one. It's not quite finished either, and you might notice references to certain images twice (such as the knight and the rebel), and and I plan to correct that.

Rob


Its' Only Hell

VERSE 1
I'm lost in a lost world,I'm a stranger in a strange land,I'm a two-head alienand I could use a little hand.It's only hell.

VERSE 2
I'm a rebel without a clue.I'm a knight without his armor,I'm a harried and hurried guruwithout the time for Instant Karma.It's only hell.

VERSE 3
I'm a lover without a woman,I'm a spender without the bucks,I'm a poet without his rhymeI'm gambler down on his luck,
CHORUS It's only hell, It's only hell, and it's just as well,cause if this were heaven that would surely be hell.

VERSE 4
I'm a free spirit tied to a desk,I'm a singer without a voice,I'm a magician without his magic,I'm a voter without a choice.

CHORUS
It's only hell, It's only hell, and it's just as well,cause if this were heaven that would surely be hell.

BRIDGE:The union claims I'm under-compensated,The boss thinks my salary's inflated.The Commies say I'm alienated,My psychic says I'm just ill-fated.Credit card offers tell me I've made itThe landlord wants his rent, I still haven't paid it,The shrink makes it all so complicated,The truth of the matter is, and I'll clearly state it,My job sucks and I swear I hate it.

CHORUS
It's only hell, It's only hell, and it's just as well,cause if this were heaven that would surely be hell.

VERSE
I'm a prophet without a future.I'm a saint without a prayer,I'm the devil without his due.I'm a lion without a lair.


VERSE
I'm dreamer without his sleep,I'm a sleeper without his rest.
I'm a rebel without a peep
I'm a knight without a quest.

VERSE
I'm a mystic without a vision
I'm a preacher without beliefI'm a savior without a world
A malcontent without a beef.

CHORUS
It's only hell, It's only hell, and it's just as well,cause if this were heaven that would surely be hell.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Audio Files
King Harvest (Has Surely Come)
by J.R. Robertson. Album: The Band © 1970 Canaan Music, Inc.
For an analysis of the lyrics, and more, see Peter Viney's article on "King Harvest".
Corn in the fields.
Listen to the rice when the wind blows 'cross the water,
F/A Fm/Ab C
King Harvest has surely come.
Am G Bb F/G C
I work for the union 'cause she's so good to me;
Am F
And I'm bound to come out on top,
Dm E
that's where I should be.
Am Bb C G
I will hear ev'ry word the boss may say,
Am Bb C G
For he's the one who hands me down my pay.
Am Bb C G
Looks like this time I'm gonna get to stay,
Am Bb C G Am G Bb F
I'm a union man, now, all the way.
The smell of the leaves,
from the magnolia trees in the meadow,
King Harvest has surely come.
Dry summer, then comes fall,
Which I depend on most of all.
Hey, rainmaker, can't you hear my call?
Please let these crops grow tall.
Long enough I've been up on Skid Row
And it's plain to see, I've nothin to show.
I'm glad to pay those union dues,
Just don't judge me by my shoes.
Scarecrow and a yellow moon,
and pretty soon a carnival on the edge of town,
King Harvest has surely come.
Last year, this time, wasn't no joke,
My whole barn went up in smoke.
My horse Jethro, well he went mad
And I can't remember things bein' so bad.
Then there comes a man with a paper and a pen
Tellin' us our hard times are about to end.
And then, if they don't give us what we like
He said, "Men, that's when you gotta go on strike."
Corn in the fields.
Listen to the rice when the wind blows 'cross the water,
King Harvest has surely come.


THANK YOU to all of the wonderful people who came out for the Hurricane Katrina Relief benefit that we gave at Cha Cha's on Labor Day. After combining your contributions, our donation, and a 100% match from Wunderman Communications, we were able to send the American Red Cross a check today for $1600.

If you didn't get a chance to come down but are looking to donate to the American Red Cross, here's how:

By phone: Call 1-800-HELP-NOW (1-800-435-7669)

Online: Visit http://www.redcross.org/ and click on the link, "Donate now!"

By mail: Make checks payable to American Red Cross - Disaster Relief Fund and send to:

American Red Cross
P.O. Box 37243
Washington, D.C. 20013

Again, thank you for your support and generosity at this time of great need.

GIRLS ON TOP