NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

Johnny, 99 + 5




In conjunction with the New York Guitar Festival, my amateur musician's club is sponsoring a Springsteen Nebraska Song Contest, Thursday, evening, December 1 at The Bitter End. There are about 20 contestants, composed of solos, duos and bands each performing one song from Nebraska. I'm in a band on bass performing "Johnny 99" with a Tex-Mex flavor. We should go on sometime after 8 PM. Admission is free.

The John or Johnny 5:
1.Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
2.John I'm Only Dancing- David Bowie
3.That's What John Said-The Motors
4-Johnny Strikes Up The Band-Warren Zevon
5-Abraham, Martin and John-Dion


Ira,
I dug your Top 5 although I've only heard the Motors' song once and don't remember it. I would use many of yours but here is an Alternate (not necessarily Favorite) Top 5:

1. Uncle John's Band - Grateful Dead (Lori) (A Favorite)
2. John The Revelator (Traditional)
3. John The Baptist (Holy John) - Blood, Sweat and Tears (Great song by Al Kooper, attached)
4. Johnny Too Bad - Various Artists (I don't remember whose version I've heard)
5. Licorice John - Procol Harum

Donny