NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Monday, November 21, 2005


Mrs. Robinson you're asking me for the best marriage of Dramatic Films with Rock n' Roll or RnB music ? And what would Mr. Robinson say if he found out that I already gave you my Top Five Jesse Colin Young Recordings on his birthday of November 22nd ?


Dramatic Films with Great Rock or RnB music
1-The Graduate

2-American Graffiti

3-Good Fellas

4-Cooley High

5-Quadrophenia


IN

1. The Graduate

2. American Graffitti

3. To Sir, With Love

4. That'll Be The Day (Great British Film with The late Adam Faith, Ringo and David Essex, a precursor to David Essex's "Stardust".)

5. Blackboard Jungle
Donny

I agree with American Grafitti. It was a good movie in its own right, but the music was not only great, but an essential part of the movie. The music wasn't just pasted on. Without the music, there wouldn't have been the cruising, and without the cruising, where would the 50's and early 60's be?

The Simon and Garfunkel songs really worked well for Mrs. Robinson, so that is another great one.

The Big Chill was a decent movie, and it had some great music. But I got the feeling that the music was pasted on to lift a movie that just wasn't quite good enough. Yes, the music was meant to show that these people were still living in the past, but it still didn't make it within the context of the movie. Still, it was a great score.

The Committments had a great bunch of songs too.

I don't think you can call it drama, but nothing can touch A Hard Day's Night. But if you want drama, then Let It Be. The drama was unintentional, but it was there, watching the greatest rock band crack up and go to hell, even as they made some great music.

I don't recall the songs, but I seem to remember that Good Morning Saigon had some good songs.

Of course some of those movies just took great songs and added them to the movie. The songs for Saturday Night Fever were mainly written for the movie, or at least most of them became famous with the movie. Disco is hardly my favorite music. In fact, 3/4 could make me puke. But I did like some of it, and Saturday Night Fever was the standard for Disco.

Rob


Also, how about "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help"? Though I'm not sure that they qualify as dramatic movies. Also all the Elvis movies -- "Viva LasVegas" and "Blue Hawaii". Bob Dylan also starred in a drama which wasn'ttoo good a couple of years ago called "Masked and Anonymous" which was notvery good -- a lot of his music in that one.

I would add the movie "Purple Rain" to the list -- although its merits as adramatic film are certainly debatable.

DdGRAY

I Am Sam, from Jim.


hi ira,
aren't you missing these:
Who'll Stop the Rain? 1974
High Fidelity 1999
24 Hour Party People 2003
Blow Up 1966
Apocalypse Now 1979
Boogie Nights 2000

GS

Ira,
In honor of the under-rated Jesse Colin Young's Birthday, my Top Five Favorites:

1. Get Together (My favorite version)
2. Light Shine
3. Sunlight
4. Darkness, Darkness
5. Ridgetop

Donny