NONKINSENSE

Adventures of an Analog Man in the Digital Universe, with a little help from my friends and relations.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Transit Strike 2005

Now that it's over, I could put this Top Five together, dedicated to all those that survived The Transit Strike of 2005.

Ira

1-Superman-The Kinks

Woke up this morning, what did I see A big black cloud hanging over me I switched on the radio and nearly dropped dead The news was so bad that I fell out of bed There was a gas strike, oil strike, lorry strike, bread strike Got to be a Superman to survive Gas bills, rent bills, tax bills, phone bills I'm such a wreck but I'm staying alive

2- Walk And Don't Look Back-The Temptations, Jagger/Tosh

3- The Waiting - Tom Petty

4-Train in Vain - The Clash

5-No Spittin' On the Bus - Steve Gibbons Band

Ira

To those who have sent me holiday/season's greetings either via e-mail or snailmail, I just want to thank you and return my heartfelt best wishes for the season. I apologize for not having returned your greetings in kind, but you see, being an atheist, I have been under a lot of last minute pressure running from meeting to meeting, collaborating with lesbians in order to destroy Christmas. So many little children to disappoint, so little time.I just hope I've recovered enough in time to trash Easter and Passover! I KNEW you'd understand.

Dennis


1. I Wish I Had a River- Joni Mitchell
2.Cover your Head-The Masked Marauders
3.Vietcong Blues-Junior Wells Band
4.Talkin' Bout Changes- Eric Anderson
5.TB Sheets- Van Morrison

all the best to you and yours at this joyous holiday season!
george s.



Name the following Christmas Songs ( # 3 is not really a Christmas Song in the traditional sense, but has it in the title)

1.

It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace


2.

How a little baby boy bring the people so much joy, Son of a carpenter, Mary carried the light

3.

Sam was lyin' in the jungle agent orange spread against the sky like marmalade Hendrix played on some foreign jukebox they were praying to be saved Those gooks were fierce and fearless that's the price you pay when you invade

4.

When the snowman brings the snow Well he just might like to know He's put a great big smile on somebody's face If you jump into your bed Quickly cover up your head Don't you lock the doors You know that sweet Santa Claus in on the way



5.

Now listen
Now you see, I feel real good tonight
And I got music on the radio
And I feel real good tonight
And I got music on the radio
And the boys and the band are playin' pretty good
And I feel just like I wanna kiss you Underneath my mistle-toe But now listen Santa came down chimney Half past three With lots of nice little presents for my baby and me



Ira,
As promised my Winter Songs Top Five Favorites:

1. Winter - Atomic Rooster ("Look in my mirror and all I see is time")
2. A Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon and Garfunkel
3. Ring Out, Solstice Bells - Jethro Tull
4. The Winter Long - Strawbs
5. Winter and My Soul - Grand Funk Railroad

Donny


Inspired by dkick, A fairly easy Quiz; Name the following Five Songs that mention WINTER.

Ira

1.

-Oh the snow fell without a break Buffalo died in the frozen fields you know Through the coldest winter in almost fourteen years I couldn't believe you kept a smile Now I can rest assured knowing that we've seen the worst And I know I love ya

2-
Virgil Caine is the name, and I served on the Danville train, 'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again.
In the winter of '65, We were hungry, just barely alive.
By May the tenth, Richmond had fell,
it's a time I remember, oh so well,

3-
Then I'm laying out my winter clothes And wishing I was gone Going home Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me Bleeding me, going home
4-

A winter's day In a deep and dark December I am alone Gazing from my window To the streets belowOn a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow

5.

Clouds so swift Rain won't lift Gate won't close Railings froze Get your mind off wintertime

Ira,
As promised, My Top Five Favorite (Secular) Christmas Songs:

1. The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole (The version you hear on the radio)
2. Any of the Beatles Fan Club Christmas Records
3. I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - Roy Wood's Wizzard
4. 2000 Miles - Pretenders
5. Christmas Time - Chris Stamey and the dB's (or the original dB's)

Christmas Bonus: Two Songs With Christmas In The Parenthetical Title But Not In The Lyrics -

1. Remember (Christmas) - Nilsson
2. Manhattan Morning (Christmas '72) - Flash

Donny